Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Belated Happy Happys

First off, Happy Spring! It sure doesn't feel much like spring today, as I look out my window at the big white flakes coming down, but we got a taste of it last week, and I like what I tasted. With the mild winter we had, I feel a little guilty saying "Spring...finally!" this year, but I'll say it anyway: "Spring...finally!". Actually, if we're being honest, spring is my least favorite season, with its unpredictable weather, its gray days, and its MUD. But nonetheless, I am happy to see it come every year. People just seem happier when spring rolls around. I am feeling an extra spring in my step this week, having just come off a long weekend in Sonoma. (Special thanks to my wonderful husband for letting me loose for the weekend.) Don't get me wrong - I missed my boys (big and little) terribly, but sitting around picnic tables in the sun, drinking wine and eating cheese with a dozen lovely ladies ain't a bad way to spend the weekend.

In addition to celebrating the first of spring, I must also wish my father-in-law a belated Happy Birthday! I don't think it's a coincidence that his birthday falls on the first day of spring. Tom personifies all things spring (okay, maybe not the mud and rain, but everything else): rebirth, optimism, vigor, growth. Sixty-two years young, this guy does not act a day over twenty-five (and I mean that as nothing but a compliment). He has more energy than his thirty-year-younger son (sorry Ben), is always up for a game or activity (making yours truly feel a bit lazy when she wants to just sit and read on the dock), and loves running around with his grandkids. He is sensitive, kind, and caring, with a healthy appreciation for family and legacy. He has instilled all these traits in his son (and grandsons), for which I am thankful. He is my favorite x-country ski partner, and I truly admire his positive energy and outlook on life. Happy Birthday Tom!
This now concludes the year of tributes. Now back to regularly scheduled programming (aka bragging about my kids).

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Your tributes have all been heartfelt and lovely. You can do mine next :). Happy spring to you all and happy end to cabin fever!