Monday, November 22, 2010

That's What Friends Are For

Having great friends is a necessity, but a whole weekend away with them is a little slice of heaven. I spent this past weekend in North Conway with three of my closest girlfriends. We shopped, rode some horses, ate very well, and talked. And talked and talked and talked. I wouldn't trade living with three boys for anything, but some time with a few of my own kind was priceless.

When I returned home yesterday, everything seemed surprisingly under control. The kids were dressed in somewhat matching outfits, they smelled clean, and the house was not a disaster. Ben was even entertaining (or being entertained by?) the Doyles (minus Melissa, who was with me).
It was adorable and bittersweet to watch our boys play with Molly and Jack. Even though these kids only see each other every few months (or less), they don't miss a beat and pick up right where they left off every time. Getting together with the Doyles when they're in town always makes me sad that we don't live closer, but it's wonderful to see the relationships between our kids develop, and to realize that they can withstand the distance. I'm sure that looking at each other's blogs and talking about our faraway friends helps. Still, we look forward to the day when a pigpile on the couch is a more common occurrence.

As we begin this week that is all about gratitude, I reflect on all that I have to be thankful for. What makes me happiest, most grateful, are the people that surround me - these special forever friends, my families (both by birth and adoption), my supportive husband who recognizes and obliges my need to escape with little complaint, and of course, my boys, who have finally forgiven me for leaving them this weekend. These people, and the relationships I have with them, make my days lovelier and my life fuller.

May all your Thanksgivings be brimming with friendships, family, and gratitude.

2 comments:

Kate and Davis said...

Glad you had a fun weekend - I'll be there next time! And I love the picture of the kids - they all look so happy - how special to have the time together (moms and kids and dads).

Melissa said...

I love Ethan's face while he's tickling Jack. So cute!