Had it been 20 degrees colder over the last day or so, we would now be digging ourselves out of mounds and mounds of snow. Instead, we need to get out our puddle jumpers and stomp, stomp, stomp. Or build an ark. Either way, it no longer feels like Christmas is less than two weeks away. I must say (and I KNOW I will regret this), I'm ready for snow!
Luckily, we embraced winter before the rains came, and took Ethan for his first ice skate on Saturday afternoon. Grandma and Grandpa live right across from a wonderful little pond, perfect for pick-up hockey games and teaching wee ones to skate. Like another mom I know, I was fearful that this outing would be met with whining, tears, and a quick ending. Ben and I both love skating (although very different aspects of it), so it would be hard to swallow if our kids hated the notion. But Ethan surprised us all with his daring and courageous determination to learn how to skate. We were out there for well over an hour, and Ethan was skating on his own by the end. It was finally my feet that were cold, and I was begging him to quit. Now he can't wait to get out there again, which is exactly how I hoped, but worried he wouldn't, feel after his first go. Of course, we were too busy learning how to skate to take any pictures, so we'll have to do it again soon.
Our weekend was otherwise relaxing and uneventful - we decorated our Christmas tree, shopped, made cookie dough, had friends over for football and fun, and generally enjoyed some quiet time at home. Here are the boys (aka Baby Duck and the hibernating Polar Bear) after their bath last night, doing what they do best: monkeying around.
Sometimes their mom likes to monkey around a bit too.
1 comment:
Sounds fun -- now, do you see the NHL/pond hockey hall of fame or Stars on Ice in Ethan's future? I'm curious whose path he'll follow. Both your little animals are looking sweet as always.
Post a Comment