Friday, August 24, 2012

The Dog Days Are (Almost) Over

And now here we are, preparing to leave tomorrow on our last road trip of many this summer.  After this one final hurrah of freedom, we'll hunker down at home for a few days before going back to work, beginning new jobs and schools, returning to reality.  As we stare down the final week of this glorious spate of long, lazy days, I feel so lucky.  This summer has been everything I had hoped it would be.  Sure, there are at least a dozen things on our "summer bucket list" that remain to be crossed off.  And I would be lying if I said there haven't been moments when I've longed for quiet and order and a minute to drink my coffee and check my email.  It's been enlightening and surprising and challenging to be around my kids (and my husband!) around the clock, day after day, for two months.  But far and away, it has been amazing.  I am relaxed, I am (mostly) unplugged, I am present (or at least significantly more so than I was two months ago), and my heart is brimming with memories I will cherish for a very long time.  I hope that we are able to sustain a bit of what we've created over the past couple of months when we return to the real world in just over a week.  I know it will be a challenge amidst the myriad of distractions that await us, but I do hope that we'll remember to tune out those distractions at least some of the time, and instead pay attention to each other.  To realize what's truly important, and make time for the magical moments that occur when we slow down and just...be.  And so we depart for our last gasp of summer, our hearts a little heavy that this surreal experience is coming to a close, but warm with memories of the fun we've had and excited for the new journeys that await us.  I have missed writing on my little blog here, and many of our adventures deserve posts of their own, so I plan to be back in a week or so with more frequent posts.  In the meantime, a few glimpses into the past few weeks of this oh so dreamy summer of ours.

Storyland
Visit with the Doyles
Special Ethan and Daddy Sea Dogs game
Hiking Maiden's Cliff
Puzzling at BWO and Lisa's in the Hamptons
Playing with friends at our Garden Party
Tomatoes!
Planting seeds
Harvesting potatoes
Our first ever backyard campout

No comments: