Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Just Me and the Boys

Well I'm about three weeks into this stay-at-home-mommy gig (or, as I prefer to call it, my new role as CHO, or Chief Household Officer).  It has certainly taken some getting used to, but not nearly as much as I had anticipated.  For the most part, our family has fallen into this new rhythm which seems to be working quite nicely, one where we are all a bit more relaxed.  Ben has always said, "When Mom's happy, everyone's happy," and I think he may be onto something there.  While I have certainly taken on replacement jobs with my same crazy Type A zeal (our floors have never been so clean! (which isn't really saying much)), I have also surprised myself with how easily I have been able to let go of some of those old habits.  I have found it easier than ever before (or certainly since before having kids) to ignore the to-do list, take my time, listen, be just a tad more patient, and quiet my mind.  All of this I had hoped for when I made the decision to leave the working world, but it is reassuring to see it all start to come to fruition.  Of course it is too soon to really evaluate this experiment, but for now I'm happy, and for once, I'm not thinking ahead.

One obvious side benefit of being home with the boys is, well, more time with the boys!  This development has been underscored by the fact that my departure from work coincided with a sharp increase in Ben's workload.  Getting the timing right is half the battle in any big life change, but it appears we got it just right in this case.  Times like these were so stressful when we were both working - it has been a welcome relief to ride this busy period out more smoothly with one of us at home.  Sure, Ben is decidedly stressed out at work, but I think/hope he feels a little less so with me being willing and able to pick up the slack at home.

All this is to say that the boys and I have had a lot of fun, just the three of us, this August.  Soon after my retirement, we headed down to Connecticut and New York for a few days.  There was lots of fun to be had at Noni and Papi's house...
I think Stamford, CT might have the most playgrounds per capita of anywhere in the United States.
Splash Zone at Chelsea Piers
...then a thrilling night in the Big Apple, complete with "the best pizza ever", the largest ice cream cones the boys have ever been allowed to eat, the most cartoons the boys have ever been able to watch in one sitting, and an invitation to sit in an FDNY engine to boot.  What are uncles and aunts good for, if not for spoiling their nephews?  

We then began our journey northward with a trip to the Bronx Zoo - on our summer fun list, this one was eagerly anticipated and did not disappoint.
We saw probably 300 different species of animals and the "bug carousel" was the boys' favorite.
Oh, and the 4D movie.  Big hit. 
They liked the animals too...
real and otherwise...I thought this dinosaur safari was a little cheesy, but the boys ate it right up.  And I just had to post this picture...think these two are related??
I guess there is a first time for everything...at 4.75 and 6.5, our boys fell asleep in the car on the way home from Connecticut.  Broad daylight, middle of the afternoon, nary a nap for either of them in years...I guess I finally wore them out.
Since our return, we've enjoyed staying local, soaking up these last few weeks of what we Mainers await all year long.  There have been lots of trips to the beach... 
cozy mornings at home...
a couple of hikes...
I think Ben might faint when he sees that I let the boys climb this tower with a very rickety barricade atop Mt. Douglas solo.
But they thought it was pretty fun.
some bikes...
the occasional craft (far too occasional if you ask the boys)...
and many opportunities to catch up with friends.  
Dinner at The Well
Because why wouldn't you take off all your clothes when playing in a friend's backyard?
We even squeezed in some backyard camping (with Daddy!), an activity that is fast becoming a late summer tradition.
   
The days have felt long (in a good way) and though we've packed a lot in, it hasn't felt frantic or rushed.  We are all excited about Ethan starting first grade on Thursday and Adam beginning a new preschool next week.  The end of last summer was wrought with emotion, with our oldest going off to kindergarten and both of us returning to work after a magical summer off.  It is super refreshing to have this decidedly more matter-of-fact start to the school year, and the opportunity to start this new year with a fresh outlook, more time and energy, and confidence that we've made a positive change for our family.

No comments: