Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Flirt and Mr. Helpful

All the books I've read on sibling dynamics warn parents against casting kids into certain roles within the family. Labeling kids as "The Athletic One" or "The Smart One" or worse yet, "The Naughty One" is apparently a recipe for disaster when it comes to sibling relations. So I try try try not to go there, although I am often tempted to do so. As Adam rapidly approaches his first birthday, his personality emerges, and he becomes less "The Mini-Munch" (little brother to "Munchkin") and more his own person. It's fun to observe how the boys are so similar in some ways, and so different in others. One of Adam's unique personality traits is his downright flirtatious nature. He has this way of turning his head just so, batting his long eyelashes, and melting hearts. I'm not sure where he learned it (his Dad isn't exactly Don Juan...sorry Ben), but he's got it down.
And that hair! It's no wonder the ladies can't keep their paws off him. :) Here is the little love flirting with Great-Grandma Jane on the dock this weekend:
Ethan, on the other hand, wins friends and fans in a different way. When you need something done, anything at all, he is ready. He has always been this way. Here he is Opening Weekend 2008 (at about 16 months), helping to clean the cottages:
And this past weekend, helping Grandpa build a fire:
Although sometimes challenging (like when the little man insists that he unpack ALL the groceries BY HIMSELF and the ice cream is melting all over the back of the car), I love that Ethan genuinely wants to lend a hand to anyone who needs it. He shows empathy and sympathy beyond what I would expect from a 2 1/2 year old, and I am proud and grateful.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Too cute - I love Adam's flirtatious look. You are in trouble with him and the ladies. And I love that Ethan still wants to help and hasn't outgrown that --he can come unload my groceries (ice cream and all!) anytime!!

Melissa said...

I love these two! Adam has known how to work a room from day one. Not only is Ethan Mr. Helpful, but he's also Captain Safety, always watching out for his little friends. Cracks me up.