In about an hour, I head to the bus station to take a bus to Boston. There, I'll meet up with The Lowe sisters (now actually Owens and Murphy, but still the Lowe sisters in my mind) and we'll fly out to Seattle to join Melissa for our now annual girls weekend. I've been looking forward to this weekend since Girls Weekend 2010, almost a year ago. It's wonderful to reconnect with old girlfriends, rehash memories of our Boston days, catch up on each other's far too busy lives over a glass (or three) of wine and without constant interruption. Still, it's always hard to leave home and say goodbye to my boys. My little boys don't seem to mind in the slightest; in fact, Ethan has been asking all week when I was going to go already, so he could get his new book (I always leave new books for the boys to read with Daddy when I go away). When I dropped them off at school this morning, I hugged them extra hard and told them I'd miss them terribly, and they humored me for about thirty seconds before scampering off to play with their friends. Gone, I guess, are the days when they cling to my leg, wailing as I try to extricate myself from their lock-tight grasp. The rational side of me knows this is a good thing, and is happy that they are comfortable enough with themselves, their surroundings, Daddy, to be okay with me leaving them for a few days. The emotional side of me, though, wonders, couldn't they at least pretend to miss me just a little bit? I know my grown-up boy will miss me lots as he single parents for the weekend. I think he is already appreciating how much I do and I'm not even gone yet! (Side benefit of weekends away.) And I am already appreciating him for making it easy for me to get out of town, rejuvenate, and refill that oh-so-important friend store. So off I go, thrilled for a few days off and excited to see these guys (minus the snowman) when I return on Sunday.

No comments:
Post a Comment