On my trip to Boston yesterday morning, I discovered a hand-made card with an adorable and witty poem tucked inside my work bag, and I started musing about how much Valentine's Day has changed for me over the years. I can remember loving this day as a kid - the excitement of making mailboxes, signing and delivering valentines to friends, and then coming home and examining all my loot. Then I remember, in the preteen years, when getting a valentine from someone actually started to mean something (or even if it didn't, I imagined it did). And then as a teenager and young adult, when my enjoyment of February 14th was directly correlated with my relationship status on that day. Ben and I celebrated our 14th February 14th this year - yowzer. In the early days of our relationship, we always made a point to go out for a fancy dinner for Valentine's Day, because that's what you do as a young, childless couple. Things have definitely changed! Now we are just as happy (or happier) to order takeout and snuggle on the couch with some TV. Don't get me wrong - I loved loved loved coming home to fresh flowers last night, and finding that surprise valentine made my
day month. These little expressions of love and romance mean so much more to me now than a big dinner out does. And today, Valentine's Day is about more than just me and Ben. I have three valentines in my little family, and I like celebrating my love for each of them.
Just like any other holiday, Valentine's Day brings with it lots of hoopla and excitement for the kiddos, which makes it extra fun for us grown-ups too. We started celebrating our love last Friday, with a Valentine's Day party with friends. Then on Monday, we made heart and "LOVE" cookies for the boys' teachers.
 |
Hmmm.... there doesn't appear to be any cookies being decorated by a certain someone,
but yet his hand is in the sprinkles... |
On the day itself, we opened valentines over breakfast and then then boys had a jam-packed day of parties and cupcakes and exchanging valentines.
I got home in time to kiss my two littlest lovebugs good night before spending time with my big lovebug, and Ethan was sitting up in his bed, looking through his valentine booty again and again and again.
I hope your Valentine's Day was similarly brimming with love and excitement and valentine booty.
No comments:
Post a Comment