Tuesday, September 18, 2012

As Summer Fades to Fall

We're now a couple weeks into our new work/school schedules, and I must say that unemployment/truancy/perma-summer is a lot more fun.  I don't know that the boys would necessarily agree - they seem to be adjusting fine and having a great time at school - but Ben and I have decided that early retirement is most certainly the way to go.  No, we are slowly getting into these new routines, and I do think having some semblance of a schedule and a home base has been helpful for the boys, but wow, do I miss those carefree days of summer already!

From where I sit today, in front of my work computer (warming my brain up for true work, of course), those summer memories feel so far away.  But distance gives us perspective, and it always amazes me how clear hindsight becomes.  I am thinking back to a few weeks ago, Labor Day weekend, and our decision about what to do on our final weekend of freedom.  We had been traveling like crazy and I was feeling drawn to home, with a tremendous urge to get settled and organized before the start of the school year.  Ben, on the other hand, sensed that our summer freedom was quickly fleeting, and suggested we spend one more night over at the lake.  For those who know us well, you will recognize this as a complete role reversal - Ben is usually the hermit homebody and I am the one with ants in my pants.  Knowing that I was craving some time alone and at home, Ben offered to take the boys to the lake himself, giving me a chance to de-clutter and organize in peace.  While I truly appreciated the offer, I felt so torn between this need to ensure that everything was "just so" and a desire to spend this last weekend with my family.  In the end, I decided to go to the lake with my boys, and from the moment I sat on that warm beach, soaking up summer's last rays and watching my kids splash in the lake for probably the last time this year, I knew I had made the right decision.  And from where I sit today, it seems idiotic that I was even considering missing those last moments of summer.  It's a good reminder to live for today and leave the clutter for another day.  Because the next time I sit on the beach and watch my boys swim in Keoka, they'll be 9 months older.  If I had decided to stay home and clean my house, my house would be a heckuva lot cleaner, but I would have missed the chance to watch my boys take their last Waterford swims as 5- and 3-year olds, the perfect end to a perfect summer.

No pictures from that last day at the lake, but some late summer pictures instead.
Bowling in Rockport
Our favorite playground in the world (Rockland)
Ethan and Mommy wading in Rockport Harbor
At Mt. Battie summit - our boys became little mountain goats this summer!
Enjoying a snack at the top
Yes, you can see Ethan's spit flying, but it captures their silliness and I love Adam's smile
More sillies, and brotherly admiration
Celebrating Jack's grandpa's birthday
OK I lied.  A couple of pictures from our last weekend at the lake, when we hiked Hawk Mountain.  It was our first time doing Hawk, and the views were spectacular!


2 comments:

Melissa said...

I love that first picture! Good for you for taking off instead of cleaning and quiet. A hard but rewarding choice :)

Kate and Davis said...

What great pictures - welcome back to work...